Solutions for Parents of High School Students
Are you wondering how you can help your son or daughter make good decisions – about future schooling, and career direction? Career Key can help.
Our respected career personality test, career information, and career advice are based on the best practices and science of career development. And they are very affordable.
- Focusing your efforts. Get sound advice from our online article Parent’s Role. It is the key to making the best use of our site.
- The Career Key test to spark your child’s exploration and good decision-making. Persons taking the Career Key test assess their six Holland personality types, identify career opportunities that match, get full and accurate information about each one, and download an interpretive booklet – encouraging career exploration.
Research shows that a good personality-career match predicts better grades and higher career satisfaction (if you use a valid career test).
Our paper-pencil version is available through our eBookStore.
Simplicity, practicality, and validity are Career Key’s strengths. It takes about 15 minutes; results are immediate; and there are no complicated tables or abstract concepts to understand.
- Strengthening job skills. Job skills are what count in the workplace. Period.The Foundation Skills: Job Skills All Workers Need article describes those that are essential. And, in The Free Agent Outlook on Work students learn why marketable skills are the key to success.
- Choosing a College Major or Training Program that fits your child's personality. In this article students learn how to make this match following a 4-step process. A close personality-major match is vital. It is one of the predictors of academic success and satisfaction - grades earned and graduation (more . . .). The companion e-book, Match Up! Your Personality to College Majors, links the Holland personality types to all 1300+ college majors and training programs. It is the first to do this (more on our ground breaking research).
“Match Up! encourages a learner-centred interaction between understanding one's key personality types and occupational and training information… [It] will be of great use to students and counsellors who need to provide a list of options related to personality in a quick manner... It is a great resource that provides solid information necessary for making effective career decisions.” Read more.
Debra Osborn, Ph.D.
National Career Development Association
- Making good decisions. Our article High Quality Decisions teaches students this essential life and work skill. The ACIP method is practical and based on numerous research studies.
- Visiting our eBookStore. We offer many high quality publications. All are
offered in a “green”, sustainable PDF file that you download to your
computer. Your purchase is an important way to support our efforts.
Here are a few of our titles:
Choosing Classes in High School
Advice & Actions for Making Smart Career Decisions
What Job is Best for You?
What Colour are Your Feathers? Holland’s Theory and Your Career
How Parents Can Help Their Children’s Career Development
Lawrence K. Jones, Ph.D., NCC
President, Career Key.